Cell Culture Core
The BNL Cell Culture Core provides resources for researchers who need access to a cell culture facility or whose labs does not want to go through the hassle of getting certified to perform tissue culture work.
This facility has the following equipment to allow the culture of human and other eukaryotic cells:
- Biosafety Cabinet: Nuaire NU-427 Class II, type B1 Laminar flow hood
- CO2 Incubators: two Thermo Scientific Forma Series II CO2 incubators with 184 L capacity each.
- Fluorescence Microscope: Olympus CKX-41,inverted microscope with phase contrast, fluorescence and color digital camera
- Shandon CytoSpin 3: cell deposition on microscopic slides for dry cell preparation.
- Temperature-Controlled Centrifuge, Sorvall RT: swing out rotor, max speed 4000 rpm (2000-3000g).
- Ancillary Equipment: Cold Room, Liquid N2 storage, -20° Freezer, Vacuum pump, Water bath, Stir-Hot plate
Steps to Use This Equipment
- Contact BNL staff to discuss rates and safety training.
- Apply to CNSI for electronic door access to the facility.
Usage of this facility is self-service with weekly recharges. Basic plastic wares are provided as part of the recharge but cost of media, plates, and flasks is separate.
Researchers can also engage BNL staff to cultivate cells and conduct protocols such as staining and transfection on their behalf. For such projects, the researchers will be recharged for the facility recharge, materials used, and staff hourly service rate.